What do you want to ask a Muslim? Ask your questions online or complete the form below.
By Maimoona Harrington
How did Islam begin?
Islam originated in a city called Mecca, also spelled Mecca, in the Arabian Peninsula, now Saudi Arabia. In 610 CE, the Prophet Muhammad (peace_be_upon_him) received his first revelation, also known as “وحی (wahi)” in Arabic, in the cave of mountain Hira, also known as mountain Jabal. Noor.
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was well known to be an honest and truthful person. He was orphaned at a very young age after the death of both his parents. He was taken in by his uncle Abu-Talib and his grandfather Abu-Muttalib who belonged to the then famous clan called Banu-Hashim. His grandfather was the leader of the tribe called Quraysh in Mecca.
Often, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) would travel to the outskirts of Mecca and meditate in the Hira cave for solitude. It was there that he received his first revelation at the age of 40.
Angel Jibraeel (Gabriel) came to him one of those nights and said to him, “Recite in the name of your Lord who created.
The Prophet (pbuh) said to the angel “I cannot read”. This divine revelation is recorded in the Quran of the Muslim Scriptures in chapter 96 called “Al-Alaq” meaning “The Clot”.
Thus, this first revelation to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) marked the beginning of Islam and the prophet’s journey to spread the message of God (Allah) to mankind from his own home, relatives and friends.
I am not a religious scholar. I have tried to answer this question with the best of my knowledge and understanding of Islam as a Muslim.
- Ask a Muslim: Meaningful Prayer to Allah – August 27, 2021
- Islamic New Year: Muharram, a time of mourning and a lesson for humanity – August 17, 2021
- Afghan women: their fate, their setbacks and their perils – August 16, 2021
- Ask a Muslim: do you love everyone? – July 31, 2021
- PRAYER OF UNDERSTANDING: Namaz Parho, is Se Pehle ke Tumhari Namaz Parhi Jaye (Urdu). Pray, before your prayer takes place – July 24, 2021
- Prophet Abraham and Hajj – July 19, 2021
- Ask a Muslim: Friday Sabbath – July 11, 2021
- Ask a Muslim: Be a Muslim and Speak Arabic – June 25, 2021
- Ask a Muslim: Conversion and Name Change – June 9, 2021
- I love Jerusalem – May 12, 2021
View all posts